We all have those treats we had as a kid that just hold such a good memory, for me that was Dreamsicles. The perfect orange popsicle with vanilla ice cream in the center that signified it was summer time. I think orange and vanilla remain my one of my favorite flavor combos (which says a lot because I like chocolate more than almost anything)! So, if you are a fan like me, try these cupcakes as the perfect way to kick off your summertime.
If you love this recipe, try my amazing Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream!
From Homemade by Holman
Makes 12-16 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Combine 1/2c butter, 2T canola oil and 1c sugar and mix on medium high speed about three minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add 2T vanilla and 2 eggs and mix about one more minute until well incorporated. Stir in orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, sift together 2c flour, 1/4t baking soda, 1/4t baking powder and 1/4t salt.
- Separately combine 3/4c heavy cream and 1/4c orange juice.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of the cream mixture and repeat, finishing with the flour. Mix until just incorporated after each addition.
- Scoop batter into prepared liners, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Bake about 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan about five minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
From The Cake Blog
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- orange food coloring
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1c butter and 8oz cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add in 5c powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add 1t orange extract and 1t vanilla extract and mix well for about 2 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of icing and set aside. This will be used as white cream center inside the cupcakes. I took out a little extra to create the orange and white swirl effect for the frosting. You’ll want to core the middle of the cupcake to fill with the cream, I used this handy little Cuisipro Cupcake Corer that makes it quick and easy!
- Add 1T orange zest to the remaining icing. Add orange food coloring, one drop at a time, until you reach the desired shade of orange.