Here’s another delicious summer treat to enjoy this summer! It’s a perfect mix of delicious key lime and sweet blueberries! The cupcake is light and fluffy and the frosting is just divine, and I’m so happy to share it. Let me know what you think of this fabulous cupcake!
… And don’t forget to try my other fruity summer flavors:
Key Lime Cupcakes
From Will Cook for Smiles
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Zest of 4 key limes
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift 2c flour, 1/2t baking soda, a pinch of salt and 1t baking powder together and set aside.
- Make sure your other ingredients are ready.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer (use paddle attachment), beat 4 egg whites for a few seconds and slowly start pouring in 1c sugar. Beat for 3-4 minutes, until white and fluffy.
- Start pouring in 1/2c oil, slowly, as the eggs are still beating on medium-high.
- Add 1t vanilla and lower the speed to low.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and 1c buttermilk in two parts. Mix until just combined.
- Add 4 key lime’s zest. Make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all incorporated.
- Divide batter among the cupcake cups, filling them about ⅔
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting!
- 1 ¼ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Add 1 1/4c blueberries into a small sauce pot, heating over medium heat.
- Add 1t lemon juice and 1/2c sugar. Stir well.
- Cover (leaving a crack for the steam to escape) and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often. (Watch it closely, it may over-run.)
- Strain off some juice (about 3 Tbsp) for topping the cupcakes and set aside the remaining blueberry sauce. This sauce is extremely thick and sticky, the original recipe recommended you puree the sauce but it didn’t work for me so I used it as is!
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup of butter, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons blueberry sauce
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- Beat 1/2c butter and 8oz cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in 1 1/2c powdered sugar and 2T blueberry sauce.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes and drizzle blueberry sauce that you’ve set aside on each cupcake.