Hey there again! Sorry I’ve been offline for a while, but I hope everyone here in the US had a fabulous Independence Day! I love the summertime, despite the Texas heat, and was really wanting to come up with a fun summer dessert. My sister-in-law, who may be my biggest baking fan and reads all my blog post, is the one who requested an extra chocolatey S’mores cupcake for her birthday… and these couldn’t have been more on point! You will love these rich, moist dark chocolate cupcakes with hints of graham cracker and Nutella and a perfectly toasted marshmallow to top it off! It’s pure yumminess and I hope you enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes
From Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
Makes 18 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups + 3 Tablespoons cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon special dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 1/8 cups warm coffee
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups crushed graham crackers
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- Nutella for filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift the 1 1/2c flour, 1 3/4c+3T sugar, 1/2c+1T cocoa powder, 1 1/2t baking soda, and 3/4t salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine them well.
- Add the 3/4c oil and 3/4c sour cream and whisk to blend. Mix in the 1 1/8c coffee a ½ cup at a time. Blend in the 1 1/2T vinegar and 3/4t vanilla. Whisk in the 2 eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed.
- Crush 1 1/2c graham crackers and mix with 2T white sugar and 5T melted butter in mixing bowl.
- Using the graham cracker mixture, create a “crust” layer at the bottom of each cupcake liner (about 1 1/2T per liner). Place a few chocolate chips on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full with chocolate batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Allow time for cupcakes to cool before either preparing or freezing for later.
- Core the center of the cupcake and fill with Nutella.
Dark Chocolate Nutella Buttercream
From Baker By Nature
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup special dark cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk or half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Nutella
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup Graham cracker crumbs
- 12 Marshmallows
- Sift together the 3c powdered sugar and 3/4c cocoa powder, whisking well to ensure it’s bump and lump free!
- Using a handheld mixer OR a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 1/2c butter on medium-high speed until creamy; about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder, alternating with the 2T sour cream and 3T milk, then add the 2T Nutella, 1t vanilla and 1/4t salt.
- Once all of the ingredients have been added, beat on high speed until light and creamy and combined; beat for at least 1 minute on high-speed.
- Place the marshmallows on a large baking sheet; set aside. Position one of your oven racks right below the broiler; preheat your oven to broil. Once the oven reaches the broiler setting, place marshmallows in the oven to toast.
- Warning: The marshmallows toast almost immediately – so stay right near the oven! Once browned, quickly remove the pan from the oven and let cool for a minute or two. Using a spatula remove the marshmallows from the pan and place one on top of each frosted cupcakes. Serve at once for the best results!
- Frost cooled cupcakes using a piping bag or knife. Top freshly frosted cupcakes (you want the frosting to still be sticky) with graham cracker crumbs, then press a toasted marshmallow on top.
- Cupcakes will keep, in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days.