For the Harry Potter fans, this recipe needs no explaining. For the rest of you, think of these as a butterscotch cream soda flavor (I know, who isn’t a Harry Potter fan?!)! It’s incredibly decadent but oh so delicious! I made these at my sister-in-law’s request, she’s both a Harry Potter fan and a big fan of my baking, too. These were an absolute hit at the party she served them and I am definitely excited to make them again. Obviously, this wasn’t a Harry Potter themed party, but these would be a perfect fit and there are tons of decorating ideas out there for Harry Potter (I like the golden snitch and the wands, personally).
I’ve always loved butterscotch (am I the only one that craved those little golden yellow wrapped candies?), but I’ve never had a baked treat that had so much butterscotch flavor. I haven’t been to Harry Potter World yet, but I will absolutely have to try the Butter Beer after making this delectable cupcake version.
Butter Beer Cupcakes
Makes 18 cupcakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softned
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cream soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Combine your 2c flour, 1/2t baking soda, 1 1/2t baking powder, and 1/4t salt in a bowl and set aside. Sift the ingredients to avoid clumps.
- In a large bowl, cream your 1/2c butter until light and fluffy. Add your 1/2c granulated sugar and 1/2c
dark brown sugar then beat until well-combined.
- Beat in your 3 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then beat in your 1 1/2t vanilla and 1t butter flavoring.
- Alternate adding your 1/2c buttermilk, 1/2c cream soda, and dry ingredients in batches until all are well incorporated.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full, bake for 15 to 17 minutes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks then freeze cupcakes by wrapping in seran wrap then foil for best results (if time allows).
Butterscotch Ganache Filling
- 11-oz. butterscotch chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a double boiler, combine 11oz butterscotch chips and 1c heavy cream and stir until completely combined and smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Fill a squeeze bottle with ganache and insert into the center of each cupcake, squeezing until filling begins to overflow.
Butterscotch Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup butterscotch ganache
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 16-oz. package powdered sugar
- Splash of heavy whipping cream (as needed)
- Cream 1/2c butter in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add in 1/3c ganache, 1t vanilla, 1t butter flavoring, and 1/8t salt and mix until well combined.
- Beat in 16oz powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until reaching desired consistency. I always pulse the mixer a few times before allowing the mixer to incorporate to avoid the powdered sugar exploding.
- Add splash of heavy whipping cream by the tablespoon as needed.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy! Consider topping with leftover ganache or butterscotch chips.
These rich, butterscotch cupcakes will certainly make any occasion even better!