It’s Fall y’all! That time of year for sweaters, boots and scarves (oh my)! Of course, in Texas it takes much longer to actually feel like Fall… but that doesn’t stop me from pulling out the Fall decor and, of course, starting to bake with all my favorite Fall flavors! So to kick off the Fall season, I introduce these fabulous Dark Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes with a Swiss Meringue Nutella Swirl Frosting (it’s a mouthful, I know). 🙂
I know I talk a lot about my love for various types of sweets, and Nutella is definitely no exception. On our first trip to Europe, my husband and I tried Nutella crepes in Paris, Nutella Gelato in Florence and again in Rome… I just couldn’t get enough! There is something irresistible about that creamy hazelnut-chocolate flavor, it’s just perfect for any dessert. Here’s one of my favorite ways to enjoy Nutella, in a cupcake! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
From Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
Makes 12-18 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups + 3 Tablespoons cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon special dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 1/8 cups warm coffee
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Nutella for filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift the 1 1/2c flour, 1 3/4c+3T sugar, 1/2c+1T cocoa powder, 1 1/2t baking soda, and 3/4t salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine them well.
- Add the 3/4c oil and 3/4c sour cream and whisk to blend. Mix in the 1 1/8c coffee a ½ cup at a time. Blend in the 1 1/2T vinegar and 3/4t vanilla. Whisk in the 2 eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Allow time for cupcakes to cool before either preparing or freezing for later.
- When you are ready to decorate the cupcakes, fill a frosting bag with Nutella (using your filling tip) and squeeze a generous amount of Nutella into each cupcake. It should start to fill to the top as you pull the frosting tip away from the cupcake.
Swiss Meringue Nutella Swirl Buttercream
From Lemon Sugar
Makes enough for 12-16 cupcakes
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Nutella (or other chocolate/hazelnut spread)
- Ferrero Rocher candies to garnish
- Bring a small amount of water to a boil in a large saucepan that allows the bowl of your stand mixer to sit atop the saucepan without touching the boiling water.
- Whisk together 5 egg whites and 1 1/2c sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Place over rolling water (similar to a double boiler) and whisk constantly until the sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy (rub the mixture between your fingers to test).
- Once the sugar has dissolved, immediately transfer bowl to stand mixer and whisk on medium high speed until the eggs form stiff peaks AND the bowl is cooled to room temperature. (This takes quite a bit of time – roughly 10+ minutes)
- Switch to the paddle attachment and add 1 1/2c butter 2 pieces at a time until incorporated. Continue to beat the mixture until it forms a smooth, silky frosting. If the mixture is runny or begins to curdle, do not fear – just keep beating until it comes together. This can take up to 10-15 minutes.
- Once the mixture comes together, add the 1/4t salt and 2t vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Remove the bowl, and use a large spatula to carefully fold the 2/3c Nutella into the frosting. Be careful not to over mix – carefully fold the mixture just a few times to swirl the Nutella into the buttercream. You want to see streaks. I only stirred mine 4 or 5 times to reach the desired effect.
- Carefully spoon the frosting into a large piping bag fitted with desired tip. Frost as desired, and garnish with a Ferrero Rocher candy.
These are a deliciously rich combination of flavors and the frosting is a perfect compliment to the chocolate and Nutella! Bon Apetite!
– Sugar B