Dark chocolate really goes with everything, but Dark Chocolate and Orange is one of my favorite flavor combinations! This cupcake is so delicious and the perfect reason to cheat on your New Year’s diet ;)! These are inspired by my love for the chocolate oranges I use to get as a kid (you know the ones where you smack them on the table and it comes out with these perfect little chocolate orange slices?). These are so much better and you can even top them with the chocolate slices to make them even more incredible!
If you love these try some of my other dark chocolate cupcake recipes!
Dark Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
From Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
Makes 12-18 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups + 3 Tablespoons cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon special dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 1/8 cups warm coffee
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift the 1 1/2c flour, 1 3/4c + 3T sugar, 1/2c+1T cocoa powder, 1 1/2t baking soda, and 3/4t salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine them well.
- Add the 3/4c oil and 3/4c sour cream and whisk to blend. Mix in the 1 1/8c coffee a ½ cup at a time. Blend in the 1 1/2T vinegar and 3/4t vanilla. Whisk in the 2 eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Allow time for cupcakes to cool before either preparing or freezing for later.
From Bake for Coffee
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Orange food coloring (or red and yellow gel coloring)
- Cut 1/2c butter into cubes and put into a stand mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups of the sifted powdered sugar, the 1/4c milk, 1/2t vanilla and 1t orange extract. Mix on low for 10 seconds so the sugar doesn’t fly everywhere, then turn mixer up to medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl in case any butter stuck to bottom or sides of bowl and didn’t get mixed in. Then add the rest of the 1 1/2c powdered sugar and mix again on low speed for 10 seconds. Add desired amount of food coloring to get orange tint, then up the speed to high for 2-3 minutes.
- Prepare your piping bag with a large round tip, fill piping bag with frosting, then pipe large dollops onto each cupcake.
Top each cupcake with a chocolate orange slice and/or some orange peel, then serve!
Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter – @sugarbbaking.
4 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Orange Cupcakes”
These look and sound absolutely wonderful! Nice photos.
woow…they look amazing !
You know I can’t find those chocolate oranges very often anymore. Even at the holidays. Walgreens used to be my go to place for them but not for the last three years or so. 😦
I’ve found them at both cvs and Walmart, I only ever look for them around Christmas though so they may be seasonal!